Sunday, October 10, 2010

Almost There; EPCOT and The Land



EPCOT: Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow
(or, jokingly, Every Person Comes Out Tired!)

With it's 300 acres, copious walking is assumed.  I love the Magic Kingdom.  Disneyland in California is amazing.  But EPCOT has always had a special place in my heart.  It is the first park I head for in Florida.  

It is broken into two sections, Future World and the World Showcase.  Future world is full of great ideas and inspiration for, are you ready for this?  the future!  Obvious, yes.  Disney has always had a way of inspiring greatness.  Instead of being bogged down by what's wrong with the world today, it encourages you to see what's right and what could be.   Imagination and optimism infuse the rides, science museum-type activity centers(Innovations East and West), and the eco-preservation themed "The Land" and "The Seas" exhibits. 


I remember as a teenager going on the boat tour called "living with the land".  It was classic Disney - you were having so much fun you forgot you were learning!  In this ride, you see life-size sets and dioramas of different temperate zones.  (There is even the quintessential mid-western farm house, complete with the barking dog out front!  OH, to live in a Disney diorama!)  Then the ride changes course and takes you into a series of real, working greenhouses, with the latest and greatest of the future of farming.  As a teen, I remember seeing hydroponics for the first time.  It was so space-age to me to see these plants in neat little rows growing vertically in what looked like pvc plastic pipes suspended from the ceiling.  No soil, just water and nutrients.  Of course now, it's a common an expected thing to go to your grocery store and see products such as BC hothouse tomatoes, peppers, or cucumbers.  

This time around, Disney had many new futuristic farming ventures.  There was a continued focus on sustainability, as well as viability in otherwise hostile environments.  Think: growing plants and fish in space!  Not too far off, actually.  Disney and NASA have partnered since the 1990's on research and developement of just such a possibility.

It was difficult to snap pictures while on the tour - both because of my very amateur camera abilities, and because I was so immersed in what was actually going on and all the things to see, I simply forgot to take pictures of it all.  I did, however, come away wanting to have a greenhouse and raise sustainable fish like Tilapia! 

Come along for the ride, if you'd like...

On the boat for Living with the Land
In the greenhouse

Cinnamon


Dragon Fruit

My Tilapia!  Aren't they beautiful? 

My daughter spotted this hidden Mickey.  For those who don't know, Disney loves to hide "Mickeys" all over the parks.  There are even books dedicated to finding them!


Nine pound lemons! 

A tomato "tree"

Beautiful and savory; a rosemary tree.





Fluted pumpkins?  Looks uncomfortably like the pods from the 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but okay...

Life imitating art imitating life?  Monet anyone?



Here you can see the canal through one of the greenhouses.


Pacific Northwesterners love their coffee...

Papaya

I had never heard of Jackfruit before.  Loved the name(our dog is Jack... more about him on http://twopointfivedogs.blogspot.com/ Sorry, shameless plug!)  Turns out Jackfruit is a member of the mulberry family.  It is also the national fruit of Bangledesh(who knew?)

Jackfruit

Just looking back over the pictures is like I'm almost there!  Are you almost there, too?  Drop me a line in the comments section and tell me about your Disney experience or your future plans.  I'd love to hear from you. 

Wishing you Pixie Dust and clean kennels,  Heather



Coming Soon: World Showcase!




2 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Heather! EPCOT is such an amazing place that I just never quite get to see enough of all that it has to offer...thanks for the ride through The Land - that was really such an interesting look at all that is being tried with raising fruit, veggies and fish(even tho I'll be happy to let YOU do the Tilapia farming!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, time to go back! There's always more to see ;) In the interim, though, it is nice to look back on pictures and hold on to memories.

    Someday, I'll have my Tilapia farm - with lots of my own Hidden Mickeys! How about you just come visit?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...